UNEP FI, 2009This landmark publication by the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative on the fiduciary responsibility of institutional investors continues the debate initiated by the 2005 'Freshfields Report' of UNEP FI that explored the complex relationship between fiduciary law and environmental, social and governance issues in investment policymaking and practice.
UNEP FI's work to align investors, companies, markets and economies more closely with the goals of sustainable development is an important contribution to the advancement and dynamism of responsible investment.Published by: UNEP FI ; 2009
Fiduciary responsibility: Legal and practical aspects of integrating environmental, social and governance issues into institutional investment
This landmark publication by the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative on the fiduciary responsibility of institutional investors continues the debate initiated by the 2005 'Freshfields Report' of UNEP FI that explored the complex relationship between fiduciary law and environmental, social and governance issues in investment policymaking and practice.
UNEP FI's work to align investors, companies, markets and economies more closely with the goals of sustainable development is an important contribution to the advancement and dynamism of responsible investment.
Format: Digital (Free)This publication is expected to assist in augmentation of socio-economic policy issues related to the generation and use of weather, climate and water related information and services. It is derived from the outcome of the International Conference on 'Secure and Sustainable Living: Social and Economic Benefits of Weather, Climate and Water Services' that took place in Madrid, Spain from 19 to 22 March 2007.Published by: WMO ; 2009
Secure and Sustainable Living - The Findings of the International Conference on Secure and Sustainable Living: social and Economic Benefits of Weather, Climate and Water Services
This publication is expected to assist in augmentation of socio-economic policy issues related to the generation and use of weather, climate and water related information and services. It is derived from the outcome of the International Conference on 'Secure and Sustainable Living: Social and Economic Benefits of Weather, Climate and Water Services' that took place in Madrid, Spain from 19 to 22 March 2007.
Collection(s) and Series: WMO- No. 1034
Language(s): English; Other Languages: French, Russian, Spanish
Format: Hard copy (ill.)
ISBN (or other code): 978-92-63-11034-3
Tags: Energy ; Tourism ; Agriculture ; Development ; Human health ; Sustainable development ; National Meteorological and Hydrological Service (NMHS) ; Socio-economic benefits ; Region I - Africa ; Region III - South America ; Region V - South-West Pacific ; Region VI - Europe Add tagThis “Media Guide” is designed as a working tool for WMO Information and Public Affairs focal points within NMHS to achieve the above objectives and facilitate their work of getting the weather, climate and water message out to the public at large.
This guide refers to basic concepts and approaches in dealing with the media, whether through one-on-one interviews, press conferences or briefings or by disseminating “news” via press releases or other means of communication, including the Internet. It is not aimed solely at media presenting forecasts, but also at reporters, editors and broa ...Published by: WMO ; 2009
Getting your message across: Media Guide for WMO Information and Public Affairs Focal Points at National Meteorological and Hydrological Services
This “Media Guide” is designed as a working tool for WMO Information and Public Affairs focal points within NMHS to achieve the above objectives and facilitate their work of getting the weather, climate and water message out to the public at large.
This guide refers to basic concepts and approaches in dealing with the media, whether through one-on-one interviews, press conferences or briefings or by disseminating “news” via press releases or other means of communication, including the Internet. It is not aimed solely at media presenting forecasts, but also at reporters, editors and broadcast producers who cover general news and feature stories that are impacted by climate- and weather-related events. Relations with the media must be constantly nurtured. This is why it is also designed to help NMHS assist journalists who may not necessarily have the required expertise in meteorological and hydrological matters in getting the message across.
Notes: Polish version available here.
Collection(s) and Series: WMO/TD- No. 1451
Language(s): English, Polish; Other Languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish
Format: Digital (Free), Hard copy (ill.)IAEA, 2009This annual publication contains estimates of energy, electricity and nuclear power trends up to the year 2030, using a variety of sources, such as the IAEA's Power Reactor Information System and data prepared by the United Nations.Published by: IAEA ; 2009
This annual publication contains estimates of energy, electricity and nuclear power trends up to the year 2030, using a variety of sources, such as the IAEA's Power Reactor Information System and data prepared by the United Nations.
Format: Digital (Free)
ISBN (or other code): 978-92-0-109809-2Published by: WMO ; 2009
Regional Workshop on Climate Monitoring and Analysis of Climate Variability; followed by: implementation of Climate Watch System in RA II with focus on Monsoon affected areas
Format: Digital (Free), Hard copy (ill.)
Tags: World Climate Data and Monitoring Programme (WCDMP) ; Natural hazards ; Monsoon ; Disaster management ; Climate change ; Least Developed Countries ; Agriculture ; Development ; Region II - Asia ; Bangladesh ; Republic of Korea ; India ; Japan ; Lao People’s Democratic Republic ; Thailand ; Viet Nam ; Sri Lanka ; Pakistan Add tagوقد صمم «دليل وسائط الإعلام » هذا للاستخدام كأداة للعمل لدى جهات الاتصال المعنية بالإعلام والشؤون العامة التابعة لأعضاء المنظمة WMO لتيسير عملها في تحقيق هذه الأهداف، وفي الوصول إلى الجمهور عامة من خلال رسائلها المتعلقة بالطقس والمناخ والماء. ويشير الدليل إلى المفاهيم والنهج الأساسية في التعامل مع وسائط الإعلام سواء من خلال المقابلات الفردية أو المؤتمرات الصحفية أو الجلسات الإعلامية أو من خلال نشر الأنباء عن طريق البيانات الصحفية أو غير ذلك من وسائل الاتصال الملائمة بما في ذلك الإنترنت. ولا يستهدف الدليل مجرد مقدمي التنبؤات «وخبراء الأرصاد الجوية » بل يتوجه أيضاً إلى المراسلين الصحفيين والمحرر ...Permalink本“媒体指南”的设计意图在于将其作为WMO信息和公共事务联络 员的一个工具，以便于他们在实现上述目标并将其有关天气、气候和水 的信息传达给广大公众。 本指南涉及与媒体交往时的基本概念和方法，无论这种交往是一 对一采访、新闻发布会或简报，还是通过新闻稿或是包括互联网在内的 其它适当沟通手段分发的新闻。本指南不仅针对预报主持人和“气象人 员”，而且也针对记者、编辑，以及从事与天气和气候事件有关的任何 普通新闻特写报道的广播制作人。由于与媒体的关系需要不断地培养， 本指南的意图还包括有利于NMHS向那些可能不具有任何重要气象和水 文专业知识的记者提供帮助。PermalinkLe présent «Guide médias» a été conçu comme outil de travail pour les responsables de l’information et des relations publiques des Membres de l’OMM. Il doit aider ces derniers à toucher un large public à travers leurs messages à caractère météorologique, climatique et hydrologique. Le Guide se réfère à des notions de base dans les relations avec les médias: interviews en tête-à-tête, conférences de presse, briefings ou diffusion de nouvelles à travers des communiqués de presse ou tout autre vecteur de communication, dont Internet. Il ne s’adresse pas uniquement aux présentateurs météo mais aus ...PermalinkEsta Guía sobre los medios de comunicación de la OMM se ha elaborado como un instrumento de trabajo para los coordinadores de la información y las relaciones públicas en los SMHN de los Miembros de la OMM a fin de alcanzar los objetivos antes mencionados y de facilitar la transmisión de información sobre el tiempo, el clima y el agua al público en general . La Guía hace referencia a conceptos y enfoques básicos de la relación con los medios de comunicación, ya sea a través de entrevistas personales, conferencias o ruedas de prensa o de la difusión de noticias mediante comunicados de prensa u o ...PermalinkНастоящее «Руководство по работе со средствами массовой информации» было разработано в качестве рабочего инструмента для координаторов по вопросам информации и связей с общественностью НМГС для достиже- ния вышеуказанных целей и содействия их работе по доведению сооб- щений о погоде, климате и воде до широких слоев населения. В настоящем Руководстве рассматриваются основные концепции и подходы по работе со средствами массовой информации (СМИ), будь то эксклюзивные интервью, пресс-конференции или брифинги, или же распространение новостей посредством пресс-релизов или других средств комм ...PermalinkPermalink
PermalinkPermalinkPermalinkThis annual publication contains estimates of energy, electricity and nuclear power trends up to the year 2030, using a variety of sources, such as the IAEA's Power Reactor Information System and data prepared by the United Nations.PermalinkHistorically, the IAEA has played a key role in advancing isotope techniques and in promoting the use of isotopes to address water resource sustainability issues worldwide. The quadrennial IAEA symposia continue to be an important component of the IAEA's mission in water resources management. The 12th symposium in the series was convened with the objectives of: reviewing the state of the art in isotope hydrology; outlining recent developments in the application of isotope techniques to water resources management; and identifying future trends and developments for research and applications. The ...PermalinkHistorically, the IAEA has played a key role in advancing isotope techniques and in promoting the use of isotopes to address water resource sustainability issues worldwide. The quadrennial IAEA symposia continue to be an important component of the IAEA's mission in water resources management. The 12th symposium in the series was convened with the objectives of: reviewing the state of the art in isotope hydrology; outlining recent developments in the application of isotope techniques to water resources management; and identifying future trends and developments for research and applications. The ...PermalinkThis report identifies and outlines issues for consideration during the design and operation of nuclear facilities to minimize waste generation, facilitate future decommissioning and optimize management of decommissioning waste and material. It is aimed at the broad range of experts involved in the planning, design, construction and operation of new nuclear facilities or the modification of existing facilities. The principles discussed are applicable to all types and classes of nuclear facility dealing with radioactive material. While plant designs will continue to mature and evolve, the waste ...PermalinkAlthough the Chernobyl accident occurred two decades ago, much controversy remains concerning its real impact. These proceedings present the findings and recommendations of the Chernobyl Forum and the discussions held during the international conference "Chernobyl: Looking Back to Go Forwards" held in Vienna in September 2005. The Chernobyl Forum was a project initiated in 2003 by the IAEA, in cooperation with FAO, UNDP, UNEP, UN-OCHA, UNSCEAR, WHO and the World Bank as well as the competent authorities of Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine, to find consensus on the environmental cons ...PermalinkThe NORM V symposium, which was attended by 200 participants from 40 countries, was held exactly one decade after the first symposium in the series and provided an important opportunity to review the many developments that had taken place over this period. It also coincided with various current initiatives to review and revise international recommendations and standards
on radiation protection and safety. The proceedings contain all 37 oral presentations and four rapporteur reports, as well as a summary that concludes with the main findings of the symposium. Text versions of 46 poster p ...PermalinkPermalinkWorld Meteorological Organization (WMO) ; United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO); Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) - WMO, 2008 (WMO/TD-No. 1440)PermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkOcCC, 2007Le présent rapport résume l’état actuel du savoir sur le lien entre événements extrêmes en Suisse et changements climatiques globaux dans la perspective d’un groupe d’experts interdisciplinaire. Il considère toute la chaîne d’actions qui part des changements climatiques globaux, passe par les modifications des extrêmes météorologiques dans les Alpes et aboutit aux effets sur l’ampleur des dommages et aux conséquences économiques. Le rapport cherche à donner une vue nuancée, considérant la dimension scientifique, les effets possibles sur les espaces de vie, mais aussi des influences non climati ...PermalinkCross-section standards are required to be of high quality and accuracy to form the foundation of a wide range of important nuclear measurements and evaluations for both energy and non-energy applications. They constitute the yardstick for all other nuclear physics measurements. These standards have been re-assessed and evaluated to make significant improvements in the data, and to take into account important new experimental data and improved evaluation techniques. The methods employed were the most sophisticated ever used in cross-section evaluations. These present standards are more accurat ...PermalinkNeutron-capture prompt-gamma activation analysis (PGAA) is particularly valuable as a non-destructive nuclear method in the measurement of elements that do not form neutron capture products with delayed gamma ray emissions. Inaccurate and incomplete data have been a significant hindrance in the qualitative and quantitative analysis of complicated capture gamma spectra by means of PGAA. This database was produced to improve the quality and quantity of required data in order to make possible the reliable application of PGAA in fields such as materials science, geology, mining, archaeology, envir ...PermalinkThis publication describes, for Member States, energy experts, the media and the general public, the global and regional history of nuclear power between 1980 and 2005 as reflected in the data collected by the IAEA of the power reactor information system (PRIS) and the reference data series 1 and 2 (RDS-1, RDS-2) on the construction and operation of nuclear power plants. In this publication history is compared with IAEA projections during the same period, and the latest IAEA projections are presented to cover both the past and the future quarter centuries.PermalinkThis publication provides a summary of information relevant to radiation processing for environmental applications. It reports on current uses of radiation based technologies for flue gas treatment, wastewater purification and treatment of sewage sludge. This report is expected to facilitate the preparation of guidelines for feasibility studies of further implementation of radiation processing technologies.Permalinkالمنظمة العالمية للأرصاد, 2007PermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalink
Climate change 2007 : impacts, adaptation and vulnerability : summary for policymakers, a report of Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and technical summary, a report accepted by Working Group II of the IPCC but not yet approved in detail : part of the Working Group II contribution to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate ChangeWMO, 2007PermalinkThis brochure provides updated information on how climate science and services can enhance adaptation to climate variability and change, especially for development needs.PermalinkWorld Meteorological Organization (WMO) ; International Council for Science (ICSU) - WMO, 2007 (WMO/TD-No. 1364)PermalinkPermalink世界气象组织 (WMO), 2007PermalinkBMO, 2007PermalinkOMM, 2007PermalinkOMM, 2007PermalinkPermalinkHalving hunger and extreme poverty by 2015 is the first Millennium Development Goal (MDG). However, persistent hunger is still prevalent worldwide, slowing progress towards all other MDGs, particularly in
Many regions have progressed towards achieving food security, notably South Asia since the Green Revolution. However, this issue of id21 insights focuses on sub-Saharan Africa, the only developing region where food security has worsened in recent decades.Permalinkis an issue of Nouvelles du climat mondial. OMM, 2006Contient:
- Les petits États insulaires en développement et la question du climat
- L’approvisionnement en eau des PEID
- L’atlas WOCE
- Plan de mise en oeuvre du SMOC concernant l’élévation du niveau de la mer
- Les PEID et le tourisme
- Formation à la transmission des données climatologiques
- Le point sur l’ozone
- Comprendre l’élévation du niveau de la mer
- Applications agricoles des prévisions climatiques
- Conséquences du sommet du G-8 pour le climat en Afrique
- Recherche climatologique et gestion des ressour ...Permalinkis an issue of World Climate News. WMO, 2006Contents:
- Climate and Small Island Developing States
- Water supply in SIDS
- WOCE Atlas
- GCOS Implementation Plan and sea-level rise
- Tourism and SIDS
- Training in climate reporting
- Ozone update
- Understanding sea-level rise
- Applications of climate forecasts in agriculture
- Implications of G-8 summit for Africa
- Climate research and water in arid regions
- Automated Weather Service for the Caribbean
- Potential benefits of GEOSS
- IPCC updatePermalinkOrganisation météorologique mondiale (OMM); Programme des Nations Unies pour l'environnement (PNUE); Conseil International pour la Science (ICSU); et al. - OMM, 2006Le but de cette conférence était de réunir un large échantillon d’utilisateurs et de fournisseurs d'informations sur le climat pour identifier les lacunes et les besoins en matière d'observation et de services climatologiques dans le but d’atteindre les OMD. Les participants ont examiné plusieurs documents: une analyse des lacunes établie du point de vue des utilisateurs, qui évalue les améliorations à apporter à la fourniture d'informations et de services climatologiques aux utilisateurs de divers secteurs et aux décideurs pour permettre une meilleure gestion des risques climatiques, et deux ...PermalinkThis publication is set within the context of current trends whereby nuclear power plants (NPPs) are extending their operation beyond their original licence period. Complexities, including the fact that older NPPs may now be in a better technological condition than when they first went into operation, are considered. This publication addresses material degradation, in particular flow accelerated corrosion, with details of past incidents. The main results and lessons learned from incidents or accidents associated with material degradation are identified wherever weaknesses in the associated man ...PermalinkThe explosion on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and the consequent reactor fire resulted in an unprecedented release of radioactive material from a nuclear reactor and adverse consequences for the public and the environment. Although the accident occurred nearly two decades ago, controversy still surrounds the real impact of the disaster. Therefore the IAEA, in cooperation with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Environment Programme, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Huma ...PermalinkThis conference provided a forum for professionals and decision makers in the nuclear sector, comprising industry, governments and academia as well as professionals in the knowledge management and information technology sectors. The goals of the conference were: to exchange information and share experience on nuclear knowledge management, comprising strategies, information management and human resource development, and to identify lessons learned and to embark on the development of new initiatives and concepts for nuclear knowledge management in IAEA Member States. Keynote papers delivered by ...PermalinkThe very successful Convention on Nuclear Safety (CNS) resulted from this effort and now has 56 Contracting Parties. Currently, regulatory authorities and the nuclear industry are facing significant new challenges, which require new strategies and oversight. The key challenges are the result of the following factors:
- Renewed global interest in the use of nuclear energy for electricity generation and, consequently, its likely expansion;
- Increased threats to the security of nuclear installations and the need to link closely security and safety issues and response capabilities;PermalinkThis publication will be of use to scientists planning to develop a neutron reflectometer at research reactors. It will also help disseminate knowledge and information to material scientists, biologists and chemists working towards characterizing and developing new materials. The IAEA thanks all the experts for their active participation in the meeting, for the manuscripts of their presentations and for their contribution in preparing the summary. Thanks are also due to A.R.Wildes from the Institut Laue-Langevin, Grenoble, France, for his paper on polarized neutron reflectometry.PermalinkEvents at nuclear installations continue to be reported whose root causes call into question the effectiveness of safety at those facilities. These events all have common issues that contributed to non-conservative decisions being taken or omissions in the decision process. More importantly, these events have highlighted issues within both the regulatory authorities and the operating organizations. In addition, there are unique challenges that regulatory authorities face in dealing with the changing environment and related to the long term operation of nuclear facilities.
In the light ...PermalinkThese proceedings contain the opening addresses, the invited papers presented during the background and technical sessions and the panel discussions, and summaries of the discussions. The findings of the President of the Conference and the closing remarks are also included. The Programme Committee accepted a number of contributed papers, which were issued shortly before the conference. These contributed papers are also available on the CD-ROM that is attached at the end of this volume.PermalinkPermalinkPlan Nacional de Recursos Hidricos Cover title. Errata slip inserted.PermalinkWith
- Revised 1996 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories (English (Vol.1, Vol.2, Vol.3), French, Russian, Spanish (Vol.2 only))
- Good Practice Guidance and Uncertainty Management
in National Greenhouse Gas Inventories (English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish)
- Good Practice Guidance for Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry (English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish)PermalinkNew Economics Foundation, 2006This report is an in depth analysis of the impacts of changes wrought by climate change and anthropogenic factors in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) and the responses of the communities, organisations and governments to these changes. Data on the economic and social impact of climate associated natural disasters such as hurricanes and droughts is presented for countries affected. Besides the negative impacts however, numerous case studies are shared in which local success stories are demonstrated. The overall theme of the document is one of adaptation with strong emphasis on the need for ...PermalinkWorld Meteorological Organization (WMO) ; United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP); International Council for Science (ICSU); et al. - WMO, 2006 (WMO/TD-No. 1358)"The purpose of the meeting was to bring together a wide cross-section of the users and providers of climate information to identify the gaps and needs for climate observations and services to support efforts to achieve the MDGs. Participants considered several documents: a Gap Analysis, prepared from a user perspective, that assessed needed improvements in the provision of climate information and services to sectoral users and decisionmakers leading to better management of climate risks; and two Regional Action Plans prepared over the period 2001-04 (one for the countries of Eastern and South ...PermalinkThe conference, of which this publication is the proceedings, is the latest in the series organized by the IAEA on the subject of radioactive waste safety. Demonstrating the safety of radioactive waste disposal remains a challenging issue, from both technical and sociopolitical perspectives, and is receiving increasing scrutiny throughout the world. The conference discussed the emerging global nuclear safety regime and its implications for radioactive waste management - in particular the impact of the "Joint Convention on the Safety of Spent Fuel Management and the Safety of Radioactive Waste ...PermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkIAEA, 2005The larger uranium producers have expended considerable effort and resources in dealing with this legacy. However, it has to be noted that the search for uranium covered almost all countries in the world. The result in some countries is a legacy of numerous small scale mines and mills. For economic and
other reasons, including less stringent environmental standards and lack of awareness at the time, these operations may not have been properly closed out and made safe from both a radiological as well as a general safety point of view.
It was thought that countries with this type o ...PermalinkUnedad de Planeación Minero Energética (UPME); Ministerio de Minas y Energía ; Instituto de Hidrología, Meteorología y Estudios Ambientales (IDEAM) - Unedad de Planeación Minero Energética, 2005PermalinkThe Global Energy and Water Cycle Experiment (GEWEX) of the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP), sponsored by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the International Council for Science (ICSU), and the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), has amassed an outstanding record of accomplishments during the first phase of its planned program. From bringing hydrology, land surface, and atmospheric sciences communities together, to showing the importance of understanding soil moisture/atmosphere an ...PermalinkA. Observing stations - Stations d'observation
C1. Catalogue of Meteorological Bulletins - Catalogue des bulletins météorologiques
C2. Transmission schedules - Horaires de transmission
D. Information for shipping - Renseignements pour la navigationPermalinkA. Observing stations - Stations d'observation
C1. Catalogue of Meteorological Bulletins - Catalogue des bulletins météorologiques
C2. Transmission schedules - Horaires de transmission
D. Information for shipping - Renseignements pour la navigationPermalinkNASA, 2004PermalinkPermalinkObasi G.O.P; World Meteorological Organization (WMO) - WMO, 2003 (SG's lectures, speeches, statements-No. 151)PermalinkPermalinkWorld Meteorological Organization (WMO) ; World Tourism Organization (WTO); Government of Tunisia ; et al. - WTO, 2003This paper is the proceedings of the First International Conference on Climate Change and Tourism in Djerba, Tunisia (9-11 April 2003). The conference offered an opportunity for tourism interests and scientists to exchange views on the consequences, opportunities and risks presented to the tourism sector as a result of changes in the world's climate.PermalinkD. Information for shipping - Renseignements pour la navigation maritimePermalinkDuring the 12th Session of CAgM held in Accra, Ghana, February 1999, a Working Group on “The impacts of agrometeorological applications for sustainable management of farming systems, forestry and livestock” was established. The group was in turn composed of six rapporteurs from different countries. Three members left due to different reasons and one new member (USA) was introduced. The WG Chairman prepared a draft report with the individual submissions from each rapporteur and submitted it to all group members. A joint meeting of WG members in September 2000 (four WG members were present) in G ...PermalinkPermalinkOver the ages, human societies have altered local ecosystems and modified regional climates. Today the human influence has attained a global scale. This reflects the recent rapid increase in population size, energy consumption, intensity of land use, international trade and travel, and other human activities. These global changes have heightened awareness that the long-term good health of populations depends on the continued stability of biosphere's ecological, physical and socioeconomic systems.
The world's climate system is an integral part of the complex of life-supporting pr ...PermalinkPermalinkPermalinkC1. Catalogue of Meteorological Bulletins - Catalogue des bulletins météorologiquesPermalinkC2. Transmission schedules - Horaires de transmissionPermalinkA. Observing stations - Stations d'observationPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkupdated by supplements when necessary.
Latest supplement: No. 2, February 2009.PermalinkPermalinkD. Information for shipping - Renseignements pour la navigation maritimePermalinkPermalinkPermalinkPermalinkC2. Transmission schedules - Horaires de transmissionPermalink